- We are teaching and learning focused *and* institutionally committed
- What we talk about here is institutionally/nationally agnostic
- You are the teachers, the students and the decision-makers. What we set out here will make teaching and learning better
- Digital technology, devices and social media are not the innovation, nor are they the solution
- We are here to build not smash. Play positive and proactive
- You moan (rehearse systemic reasons why you can’t effect change – see Rule 3), you get no beer (wine, juice, love, peace, etc)
- 12.00-12.30 Lunch
- 12.30-12.50 Intro to the hack
- 12.50-13.00 Interventions
- 13.00-13.20 Burnt (Rules have not started yet)
- 13.30-13.50 Hack 1
- 13.55-14.25 Hack 2
- 14.25-14.35 Break
- 14.40-15:10 Hack 3
- 15.10-15.30 Hack 4
- 15.30-15.55 Final session and next steps
Future Happens – Facilitators Perspective
We are here to make the most of social media in teaching, learning and assessment. We recognise social media is a complex, emotive, powerful, fast changing and sometimes controversial aggregation of practices, attitudes, technologies and learning.
Definition of social media:
- For the purposes of this hack, we define social media as being digital platforms that allow the creating and sharing of information, ideas, and other forms of expression related to identity in forms visible to others. These platforms provide the potential for connections, dialogue and discourse through online communities and networks.
- We believe that education should, at times, be communal, collaborative and about personal becoming.
- We believe that knowledge is, in part, socially constructed.
- We believe that education should equip learners to be active and engaged citizens.
- We believe that social media is an important location for the above.
- Social media is more than a kit, a system, a platform or a tool. Social media use requires fluencies, entails risks, is both public and private, commercial and open
With all that in mind we believe that social media can and does make education ‘better’ relative to the larger world.
Below are all of the links For you need to respond to the Future Happens 2 Social Media Hack. Background on the event is here.
The face-to-face event starts around 12:30pm UK time. Most of the event will be based round four Hacks in the room with responses from groups being captured in Google docs.